Sunday, June 8, 2008

"You must be the change...

you wish to see in the world" said Mahatma Gandhi. Sometimes I feel very small and insignificant in this world but I have to adjust and think it's just a feeling and not at all a representation of my place in this world. Changing one's self is certainly easily said than done. Change requires so much energy of us both physically and mentally.


Gandhi's quote also reminds me of how librarians or library paraprofessionals should view our profession. Librarianship constantly changes to fit our patrons' present and future needs, otherwise I personally believe that (especially in public libraries) our jobs are meaningless. The first time I read Gandhi's quote I was working my first job in a library in north Mississippi and I thought it was beautiful and its meaning is ageless and inspiring. This field we call librarianship has definitions which surpass any book definition.

No comments: