Thursday, December 18, 2008

A first...of many

So tonight I scheduled myself to speak with a local elementary school. It has taken me a good year, but I have made significant progress with this elementary school's principal. I think she knows that I have the children's best interests. She's a spectacular person.


It was their December PTSO meeting. I was not mentally prepared for the amount of people attending this meeting. I was simply speechless and my mind was going 200 mph. I think there were almost 600 or 700 people in their cafeteria. There were probably more. Usually, I'm not too nervous about speaking with people, but like I said, I didn't expect for there to be so many people. I spoke about about the library's importance in their community. I'm sure some people were bored, but that's to be expected. I kept my speech under 3 minutes and I think it was just enough.

After this event, I have learned that I need to speak at more functions. It is something I really enjoy. Now I just need to get a personal assistant to line up my gigs. ...lol

3 comments:

Biker Librarian said...

Did I hear that there is an opening for a personal assistant to the children's person in Pearl? Could you please send me an application?

maggie moran said...

W2G! How can anyone be bored with 3 minutes! ;D

Mara said...

Just a little follow up on this one...like any young novice librarian (after my speech) I thought the next I would have masses of people coming to the library...It was a Friday, so I was happy anyway. Just when I thought that my speech about libraries had no impact on 800 people, last Thursday, a nice lady came in the library, and she made her way to the youth department to compliment me on my speech...and to top it off she told me this in front of my supervior and coworker...all I could do was smile:)