Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Resolutions for librarians

Ok so I've not posted for a long while...I got caught up in the holiday spirit and school things. So today is the last day before 2009, and I decided to google "new year's resolutions for librarians". I wondered for a couple of seconds if there would be any hits. There were over 780K results.

I read mostly blog links. The Shifted Librarian blog had a post about New Year's resolutions for technology in libraries. It was posted in 2004. The next one was actually about a Filipino librarian. I loved his quote..."I can't change Filipino librarians, but I can change the way you look at us." His post was basically about emailing resolutions to yourself. The next blog, although it was short, was interesting. Click here to read the blog. It was more of what I wanted to read. The blogger posted 4 pieces of wisdom: collection development in religion, setting aside personal political beliefs, genealogists and library publicity. The blogger attitude still fits with our current times. When I read this blog, it made me think about my library resolutions...I pondered...pondered more...still pondered...so here are 5 things I will try to do...

1. Read (at least) 1 young adult or juvenile book per month.
2. Increase the young adult nonfiction and juvenile biography section by 20%.
3. Blog more on the library system's teen and children's blog.
4. Be 20% more active in community events.
5. (Of course) Be the best librarian I can possibly be for my community.

I think this list is a start. I'll revisit it again.

3 comments:

maggie moran said...

I love number one! You can do it!!! Happy New Year and I can't wait to read about the exciting new YA and Juvie books you've read!

maggie moran said...

Me again! Reference #1, I went to Square Books for Kids in Oxford and got John Green's Looking for Alaska and An Abundance of Katherines! I'm all set for January and February! Kewl!

Biker Librarian said...

Great goals, Mara! I feel inspired now. Maybe I'll have to come up with some of my own.