Friday, November 14, 2008

Reading really "is" important...


and so is listening.

Ok...about a week ago my library system had our annual staff development day. It was western themed and I thought that the library was wonderfully decorated and the programs were excellent. Some of the really cool props included a
hitching post, a chuck wagon (made with a book cart, fun noodles, fabric, duck tape, and string), real milk canisters and a saddle. Some people elected to wear western wear and others were in comfortable clothes. I think I looked more like a confused urban cowgirl roadie...lol...

To the important part--the part where one should listen and read--During the recognition ceremony, which took place after lunch, I received an award. I was so worried about the meeting room temperature that when our director called my name I just walked to the podium. I really did not "read" the certificate or even "hear" why I was being recognized; I just knew I was being recognized for being a nominee for branch employee of the year. Fast forward to Friday (a week later), I took my certificate home and actually read it and I was the Rankin County Employee of the Year. WOW!!! I feel honored and I am humbled that some of my fellow coworkers felt compelled to nominate me. If you are reading this blog post and nominated me, thank you for believing in me. I hope to do magnificent things for the library world.

3 comments:

Heidiwriter said...

Congratulations on your award!
Great blog post--I agree with you wholeheartedly about reading. I can't understand people who don't read.

Books and writing have been a huge part of my life since a very young age. In fact, my first novel is coming out around Thanksgiving! It's called Cowgirl Dreams, based on my grandmother who rode steers in Montana rodeos during the 1920s. I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!

Thank you for the work you do--librarians are super!

Heidi
www.heidimthomas.com
http://heidiwriter.wordpress.com

Mara said...

Thanks! You have a neat website!

Biker Librarian said...

If anyone deserves it you do. It was so nice to see two of my buddies up there. But next year you "better" win for the "whole" system. :*)